Thursday, March 13, 2008

Genetic Engineering

There is a fine line between bettering our race and species, and just plain messing with mother nature. Genetic engineering has been widely discussed topic as the years have gone on. With the technology of today being what it is, it's no problem to create a child to look anyway you would like it to. You want a boy, no problem, how about some brown hair and blue eyes. It's sounds like buying a new car. You pick out all the features you want it to have and wait for it to arrive. I don't believe that we should mess with mother nature. Humans have been doing just fine in the past and I don't see any reason to start changing that now. It's not like we haven't been able to survive the way we are. I think we should let the birthing process do it's job and what happens, happens.

I know that every father wants to have that son that is athletic and good looking and be able to accomplish everything that their father couldn't. Though I don't believe that it is right to engineer your child to be like that. You should love your child just because they are yours. Not because they are athletic or smart. You shouldn't have to create your child to be perfect just so that you are happy with them. I just think that the birth process is too natural and complicated for us to be trying to change it. People come in all shapes and sizes and varieties. I think we should leave it that way. We need diversity in our society, its what makes us who we are.

I don't feel that we will appreciate ourselves as much. We won't have to every worry about our children because we will know right from the beginning that nothing is ever going to be wrong with them and that they are going to be perfect. I think we will take our children for granted because everything will be simpler for the parents. It takes away from the suspense of having your child and wondering what they'll look like and what they'll be interested in. You'll be choosing it all right from the beginning. I'd rather wait and watch my child grow to experience the full effects of your child growing before your eyes.

This is what I feel about genetic engineering. I don't believe we should be dabbling in such a natural process. Humans haven't ever even come close to becoming extinct so I don't think we need to change a thing. I think we've been doing fine for thousands of years and there is absolutely no reason we should change a thing. I wouldn't want to choose my child, I want them to come as they are. I want to be able to love that child no matter what and appreciate everything about them. Without having to genetically build them.

6 comments:

funnykid17 said...

this is a good essay but there is not facts behind it. It is all personal. Being that its all personal it is affective, but not as affective as it could be.

Papa Bear said...

nice job. i like the paragraph about how a father wants their son to be everything they couldn't be. It is very true because a father wants to teach his son these types of things which will be taken away from this process

The Jaguar said...

Good job el tigre azul. I agree with everything you said and I think its right on the money. While there may not be fact to back it up thats just because nobody has any facts about such things yet. Good job!

theteach said...

I don't agree that "every father wants to have that son that is athletic and good looking and be able to accomplish everything that their father couldn't."
Some fathers are not at all interested in sports.

You write, "I want to be able to love that child no matter what and appreciate everything about them."
This probably is the most important statement in your blog.

You are talking about unconditional love, the kind of love that all parents should have. You are talking about the kind of love we want for ourseleves without realizing it. It is so important that we love one another just as we are, not for what we should be. We must learn to accept people as they are.

I wonder if one of the reasons people champion genetic engineering is their dislike for themselves. I wonder if they don't like the way they are, so they want to build children who are not like them.

Good that you bring up this point!!

Blue Tiger said...

funnykid17: Thank you for the comment, the main reason I focused my paper on personal points is because I don't much about genetic engineering and I was just providing my personal opinion on what I thought of Genetic Engineering, thank you for the comment.

papa bear: Thank you for the comment, I agree with you that father's want to be able to show their children the way, they want to feel that personal connection and know that their child needs them, thanks for the comment.

the jaguar: Thank you for the comment, I knew you would probably agree with me and I also agree with you that there aren't many facts to be discussed when not many people know much about the topic of genetic engineering. Thanks for the comment.

theteach: Thank you for the comment, unconditional love is one main point that I was stressing and I'm glad to see that it was noticed, I feel that's one of the most important things a person can have, is knowing that there is someone out there who will love them no matter what they accomplish or what they become. Thank you for the comment.

lil ray of sunshine said...

You probably don't know who this is, but you're pretty smart so I think you'll be able to figure it out. Anyway, I think your essay is great. The way you incorporated the theme of "mother nature", etc., is great because you continued with that idea throughout the entire essay. I agree that you didn't use facts to back up your statements, but you still did a very good job. You were appealing to the reader's emotions rather than presenting all the facts. It worked quite well, you have me convinced to join your side of the argument. Keep up the good work.