Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This I Believe

I believe what doesn’t kill you, only makes you stronger. Through dealing with hardships we learn to become tougher and how to survive.

When you are faced with a tragedy and adversity, you learn to fight through it. You find that inner instinct that says don’t give up. You know you’re going to make it through no matter what it takes. Not only can you become physically tougher from these situations, you become mentally stronger. You’re able to endure more pain; you won’t give up as easily. You learn to fight through the pain because you know you’re going to make it.

About 8 years ago my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She told all of us right from the beginning, “I’m going to beat this”. When we would visit her we could see the pain in her face but she always put on a smile for us and never complained. Her doctors were becoming concerned when the cancer began to spread. I remember one day when we were all sitting with her in the hospital and we had just found out about the cancer spreading. We were all down and worried, and she just said, “I’m not going anywhere.” She would always reassure me that she planned on watching me graduate and get married and that she wouldn’t have it any other way.

That was 6 years ago. She has been cancer free since then and enjoying life to the fullest. She is one of the strongest people I know. The pain and suffering she endured while having cancer is something I can never understand. What she went through is amazing and she is an amazing person because of it. I have so much respect for her and always will. What doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.

1 comment:

ophelia said...

Your grandmother is an example to all of us. It is people like her who inspire us to keep fighting the odds when we are faced with life threatening challenges.

Thank you for sharing her story.